In PowerPoint, you can animate text and objects such as clip art, shapes, and pictures. Animation, or movement, on the slide can be used to draw the audience's attention to specific content or to make the slide easier to read.
The Four Types of AnimationsThere are many different animation effects that you can choose from, and they are organized into four types:
- Entrance: These control how the object enters the slide. For example, with the Bounce animation, the object will "fall" onto the slide and then bounce several times.
- Emphasis: These animations occur while the object is on the slide, often triggered by a mouse click. For example, you can set an object to Spin when you click the mouse.
- Exit: These control how the object exits the slide. For example, with the Fade animation, the object will simply fade away.
- Motion Paths: These are similar to Emphasis effects, except the object moves within the slide along a pre-determined path, for example a circle.
To Apply an Animation to an Object:
- Select the object you want to animate.
- On the Animations tab, click the More drop-down arrow in the Animation group.
- A drop-down menu of animation effects will appear. Select the desired effect.
- The effect will apply to the object. The object will have a small number next to it to show that it has an animation. Also, in the Slide pane, a star symbol will appear next to the slide.
To Remove an Animation
- Select the small number located next to the animated object.
- Press the Delete key. The animation will be deleted.
To Reorder the Animations:
- Select the number of the effect that you want to change.
- From the Animations tab, click the Move Earlier or Move Later commands to change the ordering.
To Preview Animations:Any animation effects that you have applied will show up when you play the slide show. However, you can also quickly preview the animations for the current slide without viewing the slide show.
- Navigate to the slide that you want to preview.
- From the Animations tab, click the Preview command. The animations for the current slide will play.
The Animation PaneThe Animation Pane allows you to view and manage all of the effects that are on the current slide. You can modify and reorder effects directly from the Animation Pane, which is especially useful when you have a large number of effects.
To Open the Animation Pane:
- From the Animations tab, click the Animation Pane command.
- The Animation Pane will open on the right side of the window. It will show all of the effects for the current slide in the order that they will appear.
To Reorder Effects from the Animation Pane:
- On the Animation Pane, click and drag an effect up or down.
- The effects will reorder themselves.
To Preview Effects from the Animation Pane:
- From the Animation Pane, click the Play button.
effects for the current slide will play. On the right side of the
Animation Pane, you will be able to see a
timeline that shows the progress through each effect.